Temporary workers in Canada usually need a Work Permit to work in Canada. You don’t need to be outside Canada to apply for a Work Permit. The general requirements for one to be eligible for a work permit include:

  • You should be in good health and some instances; you may need to take a medical exam;
  • You should not be a danger to the security of Canada or have any record of criminal activity;
  • You should show that you will leave Canada once your work permit expires and provide the officer with any necessary documents;
  • Your employer should meet the requirements as stipulated under the International Mobility Program or Temporary Foreign Worker Program

What are the Types of Work Permit?

There are two main types of Work Permits, namely:

1. Open Work Permit: This permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada, except for one who is non-compliant to the regulations of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program or the International Mobility Program.

You are also not allowed to work for an employer who provides erotic dance or massages, escort, and striptease services. To be eligible for this type of permit, you should fall in one of these categories:

  • Be a Permanent Resident;
  • A dependent family member of a Permanent Resident in Canada;
  • Protected Person, Refugee, Refugee Claimant;
  • Some holders of temporary resident permit, spouses and common-law partners of some workers and international students, can apply
  • Some of the young workers participating in special programs can also apply

2. Employer-Specific Work Permit: it allows the holder to work as per the conditions of the permit. It includes the name of your employer, sometimes the location where you will work, and the period you will be working.

There is also the:

3. Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP): this permit applies to those who graduate from a Designated Learning Institution and would like to work in Canada temporarily.

As a post-graduate, getting work experience could help you qualify for Permanent Residency.

What happens if my permit expires?

Every Work Permit has an expiration date. When it expires, you lose your status in Canada. However, you can apply to restore your status within 90 days of losing it. Before the expiration of your Work Permit, you can choose to apply to (at least 30 days before it expires):

a. Change your Status: having a work permit allows you to work on a temporary basis in Canada. If you want to change your status, you can apply for Permanent Residency.

b. Change or Extend your Work Permit: This applies to those whose job offers get extended. If your job changes, you should also apply for changes in your work permit.

c. Get a New Work Permit: if you have a job offer for a new job, you need to apply for a new work permit, specified for that particular job.

Work and Study

If you are an international student, you may be able to work on or off campus without a work permit. To work off-campus, you may not be able to work without a work permit if:

  • You are taking courses to prepare for another study program;
  • You are a visiting or exchange students, and won’t get a degree from your host school;
  • You are studying French or English as a second language

If you have graduated, you can apply for a PGWP.